Monday, January 9, 2012

Day Five- Lava Tower to Arrow Glacier

Starting Point: Lava Tower, 15,200 ft. elevation
Ending Point: Arrow Glacier, 16,500 ft. elevation
Total Climbing Time: an hour and a half

I woke up on Day 5 and was greeted by blue skies and fog:


Looking around, I saw that some of the porters were resting and enjoying the partial sun:


As today's climb was only going to be 1.5 hours, we spent the morning lounging around. Herman decided to show me the hyperbaric chamber, a device used for those who begin to suffer severe altitude sickness. I'm not going to lie; it was one scary looking device. I asked Herman if he thought I would be using it at some point; he didn't think so, but we were reaching higher altitudes, so it was better to be prepared than not.


As soon as Herman's demonstration ended, the clouds took over:


Herman and some of my team members rest up before our day's climb:




The team eventually decided that it was time to start packing up:


I just relaxed. Ahhh...


Bye-bye, Lava Tower!




1 comment: