Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Step One

After deciding on my present, the first step was to choose an outfit to travel with; this was no easy feat, let me tell you. A cursory search on Google gave me 2,320,000 results. Ah, the paradox of choice. Luckily, I have been to Africa before, and I have a contact who is based in Kenya. A quick e-mail to him resulted in the name of one recommended company as well as the name of a fellow employee who climbed Kili five years ago.

My friend's co-worker gave me her recommendation. As she had climbed the mountain, she offered to speak with me over the phone about her experience; obviously I took her up on her offer. My main question to this kind woman was "How much does cost impact quality?" You see, I had researched trips that cost $1,500 and trips that cost $5,000. The only difference to me, at least on the surface, was that you got your own "throne" on the more expensive trips. My advice-giver stated that a focus on safety is important, as well as the number of guides on the trip. It all made sense. She recommended the outfit she went with, but she also went five years ago. I wondered if the outfit had changed during those years. Was I willing to take the chance?

No comments:

Post a Comment